“In its 25th year, Journey North is one of North America’s premiere citizen science programs for people of all ages. The project has broad participation, with over 60,000 registered sites in the US, Canada, and Mexico—including families, teachers, schools, nature centers, professional scientists and novices. Journey North provides an easy entry point to citizen science, with simple protocols, strong online support, and immediate results. Reported sightings are mapped in real-time as waves of migrations move across the continent.” – About Journey North
In October, 2016, Journey North’s Elizabeth Howard clicked an online ad activated by Clearbold’s Mark Reeves that same day, seeking to adapt Journey North’s editorial content and workflows to the Drupal content management system.
Together we successfully completed that project, developed using Drupal to support Journey North’s educational materials and migration news updates, with the new website running alongside still available older content and functionality. As we celebrated the launch of a new mobile-friendly website and improved editorial workflow, Journey North confronted a changing funding and hosting infrastructure landscape. We worked together through those challenges, too.
In a little under two years’ time, Clearbold & Journey North:
- Established a support role for legacy content, legacy applications, new applications, and the new Drupal-driven website
- Replaced a self-hosted, legacy map server and hard-to-use maps with modern, cloud-based interactive maps using Leaflet.js and Esri base map layers, reducing overhead and enhancing the maps experience
- Identified dependable service providers and established sustainable budgets for infrastructure and support going forward
- Migrated 25 years’ worth of content files, code files, databases, and images to new hosting environments
- Updated website security protocols to support a community of 100,000 registered users
- Introduced modern best practices for PHP web application development in all new work and updated code as it was encountered during the hosting migration
Supporting Journey North’s valuable citizen science platform and active community has been incredibly rewarding. It’s also work that Clearbold is distinctly positioned to take on: Working closely with clients, working iteratively to validate solutions and measure real progress, balancing big goals with budget constraints, keeping an eye out for opportunities and pitfalls.
Whether faced with a “monumental project” or simply in need of a steady hand as your technology needs evolve, Clearbold is a capable and proven partner to turn to.Get a Quote